Don't let yourself lose me

9:14 AM

I recently revisited a poem that was shared with me a little while ago and was struck by it once again.  I am a visual learner, so by reading the words on the page this time I was able to feel the depth of it so much more.

God speaks to each of us as he makes us,
then walks with us silently out of the night.

These are words we dimly hear:

You, sent out beyond your recall,
go to the limits of your longing.
Embody me.

Flare up like flame
and make big shadows I can move in.

Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
Just keep going. No feeling is final.
Don't let yourself lose me.

Nearby is the country they call life.
You will know it by its seriousness.
Give me your hand. 

What reaches me about this poem the most is the idea that I was presented with when I initially heard the poem but somehow it strikes so true now that I have been pondering this for a while (this is generally how my mind works).  The beautifully composed idea that going to the limits of your longings is to embody God.  And how that is different for every person.  I need to live like this.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images