Facebook and Book Books

9:45 AM



I took a facebook break inspired by a book, and then came back inspired by books - the viral top ten booklist that my friends were sharing, which came up in real life conversation. Facebook is a great tool and a great trap, and I did get the perspective I wanted by deactivating for a few weeks. But I still want to participate and interact with my friendships near and far both in reality and virtually.

The main thing I became aware of is how much I use facebook as a coping method for stress. It provides a crazy amount of distractions and rabbit holes to follow at any given time and there's always something new to see. Not having it as a safety net made me very aware of how much I use it to distract from stressful situations, worries, or mental patterns. Instead of being able to obsessively check it, I had to work through my feelings without that crutch - after some spinning, I practiced some mental exercises that Tory has been teaching me, used prayer to ask for peace, and went to the climbing gym to burn off some energy. I also think that it was enough time to break patterns of consistently checking in on facebook, which I'm planning to carry on - a new normal for myself. I missed out on seeing photos of my friends who live far away, and those little interactions that keep me connected to them, so I am glad to be back, but I hold to it loosely.


And here's my list!

Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins
Letters to a Young Poet or Book of Hours - Rainer Maria Rilke
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Everything Must Change - Brian McLaren
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut
1984 - George Orwell
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger
The Circle - Dave Eggers

And a new selection of book on my to-read list so far:

Anna Gretz
Xenocide, Orson Scott Card
For the Time Being, Annie Dillard
The Book of Images, Rainer Maria Rilke

Carla Ewert
John Milton: Paradise Lost
George Eliot: Middlemarch
Marilyn Robinson: Gilead
Virginia Woolf: Mrs. Dalloway
Edmund Spenser: The Faerie Queene, Book III
Leo Tolstoy: Anna Karenina
Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Love in the Time of Cholera

Victoria Peterson-Hilleque
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Boat of her own Making
Dostoevsky - Brothers Karamozov
Sylvia Plath
Pablo Neruda's Odes

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images